Wednesday 3 November 2010

roots

summat jaye said last night about me coming from daaahn saaarth and now living oop t'north, which incidentally is via the midlands for a good proportion of my life, as being strange - had me thinking about roots.

i don't feel like i've got any - in the sense of coming from somewhere.  my family are a combination of english, maltese and german for a start so i'm in no way totally english and i'm told i don't look english.  well i was brought up in england, i speak the language and make roast dinners on a sunday and queue for things and i'm definitely reserved with people so i guess that makes me pretty english.  but especially in the town where i live now i know i stick out a bit and sometimes i can tell people are trying to work out where i come from.  having an accent that takes in kent and coventry and is in no way consistent doesn't help either.  i was once told i look mixed race - i think that's cos i've got curly hair and dark brown eyes though.  my skin is pretty pale and burns in the sun like english people's skin - sort of that rare roast beef colour and then peels off to go back to no tan whatsoever 2 days later. unlucky...

i read this book



 a little while ago.  it was pretty good actually but it made me feel a bit hollow at the same time.  it's all about not fitting in anywhere - based on a woman brought up in the 70's in england by jamaican parents, who goes to jamaica to try and find her roots and learn about her family tree.  i identified a bit with the main character.  although i've never been to malta to test this theory *thinks about going to malta*

in my dreeeaaams...

actually i did go to germany with the school when i was 15 and i have to say that i probably felt more at home there because of the food.  i bloody heart german food.  i remember other girls leaving theirs and me having more than one dinner... hehe

but i don't fit in daaahn saaarth with the rest of my family cos i wasn't brought up there.  i never fit in where i was brought up - because of my accent and cos i wasn't from there.  and i definitely don't fit in round here.  but i dooo like it round here.  i like the countryside and the communityness of the town, and i can't really see me moving anywhere else for the time being.  maybe you can put down your own roots innit.

i'd like mine to look like this

please.

with this as a soundtrack


3 comments:

  1. I can definitely identify Josie, cam from the north but then moved up and down to the midlands and back. Live back in the north and feel I belong here but still stick out - I think I always will and I think at nearly forty I am close to appreciating that fact!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With you there Josie. Kiwi adopted by English parents, UK always referred to as 'back home'. Moved to other countries, no ties. Sense of freedom, then a sense of not belonging (on which I have a whoooooole theory). Now my kids have a similar thing, but in reverse (less the adopted bit).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found keeping an allotment helps you put down roots ...

    ReplyDelete