Tuesday 7 December 2010

lipstick, powder and paint.

i'd like to reference shaky for that title.

hehe.

ok well i'll admit to having watched the recent series of i'm a celebrity get me out of here up to and including the show last night after they all left the jungle.

this isn't going to be a blog about i'm a celebrity get me out of here btw. go somewhere else if you want to discuss gillian mckeith fainting or stacey solomon winning.

this is a blog about makeup (hence the title obvs...)

but while i was watching iacgmooh it did occur to me that most of the women in the show looked better with natural skin and no makeup.  this was confirmed when they came out. even gillian mckeith wasn't much improved with makeup. that wasn't a bitch honest.

take kayla. she looks like a pretty, normal nice girl without makeup. (nb. it was v hard to find a pic of her on google images where she has clothes on *rolls eyes*)


but with makeup she looks older and harder and just a bit more unpleasant.

again - the only pic where she has clothes on. i'm not titillating anyone with my blog. if you want to look at her boobs go and google her...

and i thought the same about stacey

praps not the most flattering pic but she looks like someone you'd be friends with without make up.

with make up

i dunno just older & a bit harder & not as pretty.

i used to wear a lot of makeup - esp in my teens and my mum would tell me i didn't need it but of course i did :)

makeup makes women feel more confident about their looks.  which is a bit bizarre cos it's basically painting your face.  i'm all for facepainting


goddamn i like that. i'm going to do that on me for the sch run this afternoon :)

but there was a time when i'd never leave the house without a minimum of tinted m****turiser, concealer, powder, black eyeliner, and mascara.  actually that still happens.  i tend to leave the eyeliner out if it's just for the sch run or to sainsburys. but if i go into manc then i definitely put eyeliner on.

this is an improvement. i used to be known for my red lipstick. this is me in 1990:

 
ok please ignore the eyebrows it was before i discovered tweezers. we're talking about the lipstick here. see how i've totally matched my nails to my lips. i used to care about stuff like that. (pre children. you can't have kids & nice nails it just doesn't happen)

anyway i rarely wear lippy anymore.  it clashes with my pink bits in my hair anyways :)

my boyf tells me i'm gorgeous without any makeup. he is the 1st boy to everrr say this and is therefore either blind, or loves me innit :)

according to wikipedia's history of cosmetics which is actually v interesting and talks about egyptians wearing kohl and elizabethans poisoning themselves with lead (can you tell i skim read it hehe) makeup is/was thought of by feminists as keeping women as sex objects, subordinate to men etc.  i think this has truth in it. but sometimes it's nice to feel nice about yourself... i doubt i'll ever not wear makeup all the time. but i do have days nowadays (even pre seeing how much nicer the celebs looked in the jungle) when i don't bother. so everyone will be able to see my blotchy skin and dark circles round my eyes and think: that woman should get a good foundation and some concealer... hehehe

2 comments:

  1. Makeup used to be uniform for me, now I can't be fannied most of the time. It's a time thing. I do enjoy the 'ritual' of it though before say going out, find it calming, like creating something. Whether or not it is about makng yourself an object, not 100% sure, as I think, like anything, it depends on the intention behind something. Some women find it empowering,and incorporate it into their identity, like choosing the clothes they wear to represent who they are, their feelings and ideologies (yes fashion can be that much of a statement to some). Others, sure, it's with the aim of making themselves attractive to men, they get their feelings of empowerment from the attention of men rather than a sense of self....oh boy, then this tips into a whooooole other area about men/power/control/reclaiming control blah blah.

    My head hurts :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. if my clothes made a statement it'd be "bizarre woomaan" :)

    i agree about the empowerment thing - and it goes back to the whole thing about confidence - i know that there was a time i wouldn't have dreamt of leaving the house without at least tinted m****uriser concealer and eyeliner on. i love putting makeup on to go out though i'm so with you on that - music on glass of wine and at least an hour in front of the mirror... and i love having people double take when i'm all dolled up :)

    ReplyDelete